Skip to main content

The Crowd Effect

I have come to observe how slack people, in the midst of a crowd or in a group, react when faced with situations that require urgent help, especially as a result of what they think would become negative effects to their image or person.


When you see someone bleeding out from the chest and  unable to move after getting impaled while rushing to work, what would be your immediate reaction? Would you think, "Tough Luck! Let me just go my own way because I didn't see anything" or would it be impossible for you to move on without trying to help? Mind you, this person has an immediate need which he cannot acquire for himself - immediate medical attention. Such assistance may be incriminating for the "good Samaritan" as the hospital would likely hand you over the authorities. Thus, being helpful in this instance becomes risky.


In groups, people are more predictable when dealing with these situations. Usually it is understandable that most people already have a lot to deal with. Like the consideration that "I have a family and they need me so helping is too risky" or "I don't have the time or energy" or "not enough funds" could be immediate thoughts in these situations. Although these thoughts can be relatable, they are nonetheless morally considered as selfish.

Something similar to this happened late last year. A young man bled to death right in front of the Lekki toll gate. Most people just went about their business as though it was a scene they encountered every once in a while. Even the traffic wardens were directing traffic as if nothing had happened. More specifically, they were directing traffic around the guy as he bled. His head was affected and things were spewing out but the young man was still trying to get up. Eventually, he laid back down and that was it. That man had been a passenger on a bike without a helmet and the bike man was nowhere to be seen. A police officer was watching and after a while decided to call someone to help using a laid-back tone, no sense of urgency.

Many people don't focus on this, but if you fold your arms and choose not to help in dire situations, other people converging on the scene that may be able to render assistance will most likely stand idle if there's isn't a sense of urgency with helping. This could be very costly because seconds matter!

How about we decide to respond to every urgent situation with a sense of urgency as required, choosing not to allow the crowd effect affect our response. Although every situation requires the application of wisdom, I believe that the world can be a better place when we care more about these little things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ibadan; My Ibadan

I love saying that I'm a Lagosian; at least staying in Lagos earns me that privilege. However, I just realised that it will be more apt to call me an Ibadan girl. Regardless of the bad stereotypes about Ibadan people, I have come to love and consider the beautiful city, characterised by its brown rusted roofs, as home. Before my official entry into Ibadan, it never really occurred to me that there was a city like this in Nigeria. Of course I knew it from the state and capital recitations, but it just never really registered in my mind (you know the way Jigawa or Gusau exists but you may not give much thought to it, because you haven't really considered going there). It's quite embarrassing now that I had such condescending thoughts about Ibadan even though I had once been to the city on a short visit to my uncle's place (his children were my favorite cousins at that time). Save for my uncle, I really did not know anyone in Ibadan then. My entry into Ibadan wa

Love and the expressions thereof

It has been a while since I penned my thoughts down. I really have been meaning to type up a post but my state of mind has been in shambles. I haven't even been able to read a book without getting tired or having roaming thoughts. I lost a dear brother towards the end of last month and the news hit me so bad. It wrecked me emotionally, psychologically and even spiritually. It took some time before I could even pray. I think I was angry at God. I still don't understand His ways but I trust His faithfulness. We rise stronger. We bless God that he is with Him in a place where joy continually exists. That said, I was inspired to write this blog post not just as a result of the feeling that is attached to this season- Valentine and love. Instead, the amazement  I feel at the depth of love I have towards people spurred me on. I do not exactly tell people I love them or even how deep my love for them is, as love is an overused term in our society and a member of the opposite sex m