Skip to main content

Review of The Book Thief by Mark Zusak


Review of The Book Thief by Mark Zusak

AUTHOR- MARK ZUSAK
PUBLISHERS- Random House Inc( Originally published by Picador 2005)
PAGE COUNT- 1031


I had a hard time reading this book at first as a result, it took me almost three weeks to complete. Now, I really cannot say why but I must begin by commenting on how good the book is. I had, prior to getting the book (as an e-book on Any Books app), seen the hardcover pictures on every picture of timeless books on Instagram. I even heard the book had a movie adaptation ( I am yet to see it though). All these made me really want to read the book. You can then imagine how excited I was to lay my hands on it. I am glad to have actually completed reading the book. Here’s my review:

SHORT SUMMARY
The book starts with the Death, narrating events of countless deaths and how in the course of its work, it met Liesel Meminger, when she loses her brother on a train.

Liesel is put in the care of Hans Hubermann, a housepainter, and his wife, Rosa who serve as her foster parents. Grieving the death of her brother and the loss of her mother, Liesel takes time to adapt to her new surroundings. It is Hans' gentle care and accordion playing that eventually softens the girl's heart. She ultimately comes to call Hans and Rosa Papa and Mama.
Hans discovers Liesel's first literary theft, The Gravedigger's Handbook, under her mattress. He uses it to help her improve her reading.

Liesel's days are spent struggling to catch up in school, playing soccer with Rudy Steiner (her best friend) and the other children in her neighborhood, helping Rosa deliver laundry to her customers throughout Molching and reading with Hans at night when recurring nightmares wake her. Two years later, when the local Nazi party sponsors a book burning, Liesel steals her second book from the smoldering pile of banned stories. When Hans discovers the book, he doesn't punish her. Instead he promises to keep her secret if she promises to keep his secrets.

Their quiet life is altered when Max Vandenburg arrives and asks if Hans still plays the accordion. Max is the son of Erik Vandenburg, who served in the same company as Hans during Word War I. Erik was a Jewish musician who brought an accordion with him and taught Hans how to play. Erik also volunteered Hans to stay behind from battle one day in order to help a captain write some letters. The rest of the platoon was killed. The only reminder Hans has of his friend is the accordion he left behind.

Despite the danger, Hans and Rosa take in Max, arranging a hiding place for him in their basement 
behind paint cans.

The story explores the period of Nazism in Germany, the holocaust under Adolf Hitler and the Second World War. The story is one of family, love, loyalty, friendship  and trust.
We are exposed to the poverty of down town Germans during the period and the inhumane treatment of German Jews.

Through Liesel Meminger, we see the love for books and words come to play, so much that a reader can be converted to believe that books are indeed valuable. For in the end, it is reading that saves her from death before she finally dies (hehe!).
In all, it is a great story and will serve as a classic for years to come.

MY THOUGHTS
I absolutely enjoyed reading this book and you already know that! Here’s a list of the things IO loved about the book:

-THE BEGINNING OF EVERY CHAPTER
There’s an unusual sort of way each chapter begins. Let me do a demo-
“And in this chapter is a tale of 6 things-
A Mockingbird- A car wrestler- the girl who said no- Mary with a husband- The sky at 10pm- A cold Night.
I will tell you about the mockingbird. It was a bird unlike others. It flew at terribly low height…”
You don’t like it? Then, I probably did it wrong. Read the book dear.
                                                                                                                                                   
-THE NARRATION
I feel like I got a better understanding about death while reading this book; death as a messenger, called forth by humans through war and hatred. Death sure had some jokes and sarcasm in reserve while it narrated this book. (I know it’s the author but well…)

-THE CHARACTERS

I absolutely love four characters in this book. I love Hans Hubberman, Leisel Meminger, Rosa Hubberman and Rudy Steiner.

Hans Hubberman is the first character I came to love in the book. He has a wonderful parenting style and is portrayed as the perfect foster father a child could have. He actually went from being a ‘papa’ to Liesel, to becoming a friend. He is a hardworker and a just man. Despite the treatment of Jews by Nazi Germany, he felt it unfair, stood against it and even harboured a Jew to the detriment of the life of his family members. He is loyal to his words and he was too kindhearted and easygoing, it saved his life once.

Leisel Meminger is an epitome of strength, determination, stubbornness and maturity. She proves to be a wise child, carefully reading the characters of her foster parents and accepting them later on, as they were. She is loyal to her friends and family. She sure can keep a secret and she goes on to fall in love with books, choosing to learn how to read despite the ridicules. She grows into an excellent reader and even gets paid at one point to read to a next door neighbor. Book for her was a therapy and indeed it saves her from death. (I know I have written this before. You should read the book to know how).

Rosa Hubberman, despite being kind of mean, actually has so much love and care in her heart. She is the strange wife whop cusses at her husband and foster child always. Always shouting  Saurkerl, Saumensch (Cuss words that mean asshole or something like that) at people. She demonstrates understanding and love by helping her husband house Max, their Jew fugitive. She even shows more love when her husband is away for war and she sits with the accordion, hugging it as though it was her husband physically present.

Rudy Steiner is a true friend and lover to Leisel. He defends her always. He cusses her a lot as well. The act is mutual though. I particularly like how he constantly pestered her for a kiss, having asked for one the every first day they met. It is sad that we lose Rudy before the story ends and she gives the kiss to his dead body( This is not a spoiler as death spoils it for everyone while narrating the story).

-HISTORY
I used to think I hated history but now I beg to differ. I have realized that fiction that center on historical occurrences appeal to me. The book sort of gave life to the experience of Germans and Jews during the holocaust and the World War II. It is tis history that perhaps made me enjoy the book the most.

MY RATING
Of course I rate it high. On the scale of 1-10, I rate it a 9. This is because; I just want to keep one for myself! I think I learnt a bit of German reading this. At least I know Saumensch!

MY DILEMMA
Somebody heeeeeelllllppppp! I have a couple of fantastic books on my to-be-read list and I have so many other things calling my attention. Bibliophiles, how do you do it? I should be reading The Colour Purple next, pray for me.

SOME EXCERPTS

"I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.”

"Apart from everything else, the book thief wanted desperately to go back to the basement, to write, or to read through her story one last time. In hindsight, I see it so obviously on her face. She was dying for it-- the safety of it, the home of it--but she could not move. Also, the basement didn't even exist anymore. It was part of the mangled landscape."

"Her book was stepped on several times as the cleanup began, and although orders were given only to clear the mess of concrete, the girl's most precious item was thrown aboard a garbage truck, at which point I was compelled. I climbed aboard and took it in my hand, not realizing that I would keep it and view it several thousand times over the years. I would watch the places where we intersect, and marvel at what the girl saw and how she survived. That is the best I can do-- watch it fall into line with everything else I spectated during that time."

Now that you have read my review of The Book Thief, tell me what you think of it? Will you definitely read the book?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ibadan; My Ibadan

I love saying that I'm a Lagosian; at least staying in Lagos earns me that privilege. However, I just realised that it will be more apt to call me an Ibadan girl. Regardless of the bad stereotypes about Ibadan people, I have come to love and consider the beautiful city, characterised by its brown rusted roofs, as home. Before my official entry into Ibadan, it never really occurred to me that there was a city like this in Nigeria. Of course I knew it from the state and capital recitations, but it just never really registered in my mind (you know the way Jigawa or Gusau exists but you may not give much thought to it, because you haven't really considered going there). It's quite embarrassing now that I had such condescending thoughts about Ibadan even though I had once been to the city on a short visit to my uncle's place (his children were my favorite cousins at that time). Save for my uncle, I really did not know anyone in Ibadan then. My entry into Ibadan wa

Love and the expressions thereof

It has been a while since I penned my thoughts down. I really have been meaning to type up a post but my state of mind has been in shambles. I haven't even been able to read a book without getting tired or having roaming thoughts. I lost a dear brother towards the end of last month and the news hit me so bad. It wrecked me emotionally, psychologically and even spiritually. It took some time before I could even pray. I think I was angry at God. I still don't understand His ways but I trust His faithfulness. We rise stronger. We bless God that he is with Him in a place where joy continually exists. That said, I was inspired to write this blog post not just as a result of the feeling that is attached to this season- Valentine and love. Instead, the amazement  I feel at the depth of love I have towards people spurred me on. I do not exactly tell people I love them or even how deep my love for them is, as love is an overused term in our society and a member of the opposite sex m

The Crowd Effect

I have come to observe how slack people, in the midst of a crowd or in a group, react when faced with situations that require urgent help, especially as a result of what they think would become negative effects to their image or person. When you see someone bleeding out from the chest and  unable to move after getting impaled while rushing to work, what would be your immediate reaction? Would you think, "Tough Luck! Let me just go my own way because I didn't see anything" or would it be impossible for you to move on without trying to help? Mind you, this person has an immediate need which he cannot acquire for himself - immediate medical attention. Such assistance may be incriminating for the "good Samaritan" as the hospital would likely hand you over the authorities. Thus, being helpful in this instance becomes risky. In groups, people are more predictable when dealing with these situations. Usually it is understandable that most people already have a lot