Skip to main content

Business is not for me😭😭

I've been thinking about how best to start this post. And of course, I've pushed off making the post until today.

My delay was not just because of the fact that I haven't exactly had the time to sit and type up or post but mostly due to the fact that I already made an entire blog post on a different subject and it mysteriously got wiped out.😭😭

I didn't even know how to start all over. But here I am, making a new blog post on what is my new blog site (I mistakenly deleted my previous blog on WordPress and also lost all its contents). The one thing that's pushed me to even start all over is the fact that I have missed blogging. And I don't want to be that "blogger" who used to "blog".

Now, to the post. I was recently reflecting on my life and the fact that I need to start making money fast as I would soon be off the "pocket money" life. ☹️☹️ It sounds scary already and I still have a year plus (law school) before that chain stops.

I started regretting the fact that I didn't start any business prior to this time. I mean, I have friends (young people like myself, some even younger) who own their own businesses and are quite independent.

I have always thought to myself that business is not for me. One, I am not too keen on marketing (I'm way over this excuse though) and two, my school life is so busy, I'm hardly ever around to get any sales of whatever kind done.

It is why I totally respect people who do business as students.

Nevertheless, while I was still beating myself over my lack of entrepreneurship, I realised that I have actually gone through some money making phases from my year one till now.

This post will be highlighting these activities...

•Sold Jewellery
I really didn't plan to go into the Jewellery business and didn't even see it as a business when my cousin asked me to help her sell some jewellery in school.

I was to make some commission off every sale. I literally forced my church people to buy some of the items. Now that I think of it, some people still owe me for that. 😏

It's my fault anyways. I was desperate to sell. You won't believe that I didn't make any profit on those sales. Haha. Of course, you'll believe.

I ended up gifting the rest of the jewellery to people on occasion of their birthdays and I took some choice ones for myself. Then paid my cousin for most of the Jewellery. I think I still owe her sef.πŸ˜‚

This was in year 2.

Sold Fish
Does this look funny? Sound funny? Can you imagine me wearing my white and black legal apparel, selling fish? Well, it didn't exactly happen that way.

So my cousin, whose dad owns a farm and engages in catfish farming, came back from school where she's studying an agriculture-related course and decided to start her own enterprise. It was to consist of oven drying the fish(panla in particular), packaging it and having it sold such that it was well preserved and could be used at anytime.

Like the jewellery, I was to make commissions off every sale. This one, I wasn't able to make many church members buy. But a few did.
I forced my house mates as I was staying off campus, to buy my fish...even on credit ☹️

Luckily for me, these ones paid up. Sadly, rat didn't allow me to be great in my fish selling business as they ate quite a number of them. I had to pay for those ones. You can tell that I obviously recorded a loss. I think I still owe my cousin 😫 And this is another cousin.

This was year 3.

•Worked as a Volunteer with JSA
In year 3, I had discovered I was passionate about volunteering and I had the opportunity to tutor a couple of cool secondary school kids Literature in English Language during after school lessons provided by Jumpstart Academy Ibadan.

The platform provided free after school lesson facilities to students of public schools. The idea is and was to provide quality education. And I daresay our scholars have made us proud and still continuously do so. This is the one I'm most proud of.

Although I was volunteering, I was paid stipends as all other volunteers to cater for our transport fare in a sense.

I had to leave this "job" because I got an internship opportunity that was to last a few weeks and the students needed to have continuous learning anyways.

Volunteering for Jumpstart Academy was a blessing in my life. It's made me more passionate about quality education for the African child. I do hope to be able to provide standard education through my own school in the nearest future.

•Worked as a lesson teacher
This should've come before my volunteering with JSA. I needed money to supplement my pocket money and my friend  introduced me to a teaching agency.

I got to teach a professor's kid (who was 9years old and in JSS1) English language twice in a week. It was a fun experience but I had to leave because I was paid poorly and then school went on break.

I was proud of myself as this afforded me my first opportunity to earn money by offering a service.

I must say that the way I left the teaching job was painful as the professor still doesn't like me(I think) for not informing him and his wife before leaving.

I can't even start to give excuses. It breaks my heart to have left on that footing. But that little boy gave me joy and headache too.

•Wrote for an individual's blog
His name is Timi. He saw my WhatsApp post asking for a writing job and he procured my services. Timi is the most generous boss ever. I got paid 1k per article(350-500 words). I know I made over 20k that month from writing. And the good thing was I was also interning at the time.😎😎

•Wrote for a writing outfit
This happened this year. I can't begin to narrate the experience. But I resigned after writing for one week.πŸ˜‚

I couldn't be writing 2000words at least per article (5 articles per week) with a stringent deadline and still be paid so little.

Phew!! I've done a few more things that I haven't written. You must give me some accolades for being this enterprising despite the fact that I think of myself as "not a business person".

I'm proud of every of my business attempt, work attempt and I can't wait to begin my new business... I'm going to be selling(reselling) black soap and organic cream.

Be nice and patronise a girl. It will be nice doing business with you.

Comments

  1. My sister issa shild of God, she can do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zealous Zaram! Keep up the giant strides

    ReplyDelete
  3. P:S don't feel bad...business and entrepreneurial stuff isn't really for everyone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my girl. Why do we sometimes think in exactly the same line? I've been thinking about the life outside of pocket money system too. I've been thinking of why I didn't enter into any business earlier. I no longer (strictly)think business isn't for me although I'm far from delighted at the prospect of marketing. Lol. It is well.

    You deserve accolades for all you've done in spite of not being a business person.

    I give myself accolades for at least working better on my good points. Joyce Meyer says we should recognize our 8s and work harder on boosting them to 10s rather than working on our 3s and 4s and making them 5s. Nobody needs a couple of 5s walking around town as mediocres. For that,I praise myself for working better on my 8s if at the expense of my 4 or 5 at doing business. 😊

    Welcome back to the blogosphere mama.




    Www.debbyhub.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks boo. Friends think alikeπŸ˜›

      Oya coman explain this 8s,5s thing to me on WhatsApp

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ibadan; My Ibadan

I love saying that I'm a Lagosian; at least staying in Lagos earns me that privilege. However, I just realised that it will be more apt to call me an Ibadan girl. Regardless of the bad stereotypes about Ibadan people, I have come to love and consider the beautiful city, characterised by its brown rusted roofs, as home. Before my official entry into Ibadan, it never really occurred to me that there was a city like this in Nigeria. Of course I knew it from the state and capital recitations, but it just never really registered in my mind (you know the way Jigawa or Gusau exists but you may not give much thought to it, because you haven't really considered going there). It's quite embarrassing now that I had such condescending thoughts about Ibadan even though I had once been to the city on a short visit to my uncle's place (his children were my favorite cousins at that time). Save for my uncle, I really did not know anyone in Ibadan then. My entry into Ibadan wa

Love and the expressions thereof

It has been a while since I penned my thoughts down. I really have been meaning to type up a post but my state of mind has been in shambles. I haven't even been able to read a book without getting tired or having roaming thoughts. I lost a dear brother towards the end of last month and the news hit me so bad. It wrecked me emotionally, psychologically and even spiritually. It took some time before I could even pray. I think I was angry at God. I still don't understand His ways but I trust His faithfulness. We rise stronger. We bless God that he is with Him in a place where joy continually exists. That said, I was inspired to write this blog post not just as a result of the feeling that is attached to this season- Valentine and love. Instead, the amazement  I feel at the depth of love I have towards people spurred me on. I do not exactly tell people I love them or even how deep my love for them is, as love is an overused term in our society and a member of the opposite sex m

The Crowd Effect

I have come to observe how slack people, in the midst of a crowd or in a group, react when faced with situations that require urgent help, especially as a result of what they think would become negative effects to their image or person. When you see someone bleeding out from the chest and  unable to move after getting impaled while rushing to work, what would be your immediate reaction? Would you think, "Tough Luck! Let me just go my own way because I didn't see anything" or would it be impossible for you to move on without trying to help? Mind you, this person has an immediate need which he cannot acquire for himself - immediate medical attention. Such assistance may be incriminating for the "good Samaritan" as the hospital would likely hand you over the authorities. Thus, being helpful in this instance becomes risky. In groups, people are more predictable when dealing with these situations. Usually it is understandable that most people already have a lot